Sunday, September 9, 2007

"Post II: Museum Response"

For my weekend visitation I chose the Tugboat Gallery. I’m not much of the artistic type myself, so this was definitely an experience for me. The people of the gallery were as I expected, the artsy looking people that devote their time to knowing each specific detail of every painting, but that is their job. The first exhibit that I viewed was a whole collection of paintings from two women, Peggy Gomez and Sandra Williams. It seemed as though they enjoyed developing pieces of work that involved extraterrestrial life, chickens, or submarines. I can’t say that I really have a style when it comes to art, but If I did I don’t believe that these paintings would make my list. They were almost a little too crazy for my taste.
The next exhibit was referred to as the Emergency Room. I never got the courage to ask why it was called this or how it got its name. The works in this exhibit were a little more to my liking. There were calmer, subtle pieces that weren’t so out there. My favorite painting was that of Martin Luther King Jr. by I believe Jason Miller, possibly Justin Miller (I wrote it down somewhere). I found it interesting that many of the paintings in the gallery were done by more local artists. I must say though my guide knew his art and was very knowledgeable in what he was doing.
All in all I had a great time on my visit. You don’t really know what else is out there until you have to do something like this. Art can be an amazing thing as I saw this weekend. There are a lot of stories behind each piece of work and it is shown. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Tugboat Gallery.

No comments: